Albany, New York
Oil on red clay brick with inscription on reverse
9 ¼” x 4 ½”
Inscription reads: “This Brick was brought from Holland and taken from the mansion built by Garret Van Sante about A.D. 1750 and bequeathed to the son of his daughter Rachel after which for more than three quarters of a century it was the Home of the Bleeckers and still continues in their possession A.D. 1890.” Rachel Van Sante (1759-1837) married Jacobus James Bleecker in 1782.
Provenance: Kristina Barbara Johnson, Princeton, New Jersey