Augustus (Gus) Wilson (1864-1950), South Portland, Maine
Carved pine with the original black and white painted finish and brass-studded red leather collar
Ht. 12”, L. 25”, D. 8 ¾”
This sculpture by noted lighthouse keeper and bird carver “Gus” Wilson relates to four standing tiger figures, both in overall construction and carving of the feet, as well as the thick, enamel-like paint and use of red to outline the nostrils and eyes.
Provenance: David Pinardi, Leverett, Massachusetts; Bill Hubbard, Massachusetts; Walters-Benisek; Midwest Collection